GDPR will soon be upon us (May 2018) and we've pulled the best advice into a checklist for accountants
- Make an action plan - Familiarise yourself with what 'Personal Data' and 'Sensitive Personal date Data' are: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/key-definitions/
- Appoint a Data Protection Officer - This person should lead on any changes needed to be made and identify the firms data processors and controllers.
- Map Your Data - Where do you obtain data from? Where does it go once you've obtained it?
- Understand who else has access to the data you've obtained - Does your firm work internationally? What is the supply chain of your software?
- Prepare for a Breach - Failing to prepare is preparing to fail! Why not execute a mock breach?
- Raise Awareness - Put up posters, set up an email address for employees to ask questions, hold a seminar on the changes the DPO is planning.
Read up here: https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/resources/the-accountants-gdpr-toolkit